If you have received an offline notification for your Tank Utility Monitor, here are some quick troubleshooting steps to get it back online.
3rd Generation - Try prompting a reading by placing the magnet to the activation pad. Does it light up?
If the monitor displays a red LED under the battery:
This means that there is no power left in the battery to send a transmission. Attempt replacing the batteries with 4 AA Energizer Lithium batteries and prompt a reading.
If it still continues to be unresponsive, please contact us.
If the monitor displays a center red LED after prompting a reading:
This center red LED means that the device is unable to connect where the monitor is located.
- Check your Wi-Fi credentials (SSID and password) to make sure you typed them correctly.
- Make sure you’re in range of your Wi-Fi network. If your phone or computer has a poor connection at your tank, try temporarily moving the device closer to your Wi-Fi access point to confirm the issue. A WiFi extender may resolve this issue.
- Check your router settings.
- Make sure you have the required operating system on your mobile device.
- The Tank Utility Setup App for Android 9 currently is not working properly, we recommend using a different mobile device to perform the setup, or troubleshooting.
- You can test if your router is causing the issues by creating a WiFi hotspot with your phone and connecting your monitor to that network. Or you can try to configure your monitor on a friend’s WiFi network.
If any of your network information has changed, you will want to make sure to have the Tank Utility Setup App installed: iOS, or Android, and go through the setup process again. Your information will not be deleted as the data is tied to your monitor's 8 character device ID.
If the issue persists and you are unable to reconnect your unit to your wireless settings please feel free to contact us.
2nd Generation -Try double pressing the button. Does the LED light up? Does the monitor beep?
If the monitor beeps:
A beep indicates that the monitor cannot send a reading. This is likely because it cannot connect to a WiFi signal.
Did you recently change your WiFi password? You'll need to go through the setup process again.
Have there been any big changes at your location that could affect WiFi signal? Heavy snowfall, a large truck parked between your house and your tank? Bring your monitor close to your router and double-press the button. If a reading is sent successfully, your WiFi signal is poor at your tank.
Here are tips to increase your connectivity.
If the LED blinks:
The LED on the button will flash while attempting to send a reading. Check your app to be sure that a reading went through. This could take up to 5 minutes at most. Can't see the reading in your app? Try using the web app or submit a bug report.
If your monitor sent a reading when you pressed the button but hadn't been sending readings regularly, you may be just barely within WiFi range at your tank site - If you get in touch with us, we can check your signal strength. Here are tips to increase your connectivity.
If there are no beeps and the LED does not flash:
Try going through the setup process again: Installation instructions
If setup doesn't work, it's likely that your monitor is not getting power. Try replacing the batteries with AA Energizer Lithium batteires.
We've been working on improving our battery alerting system and we're sorry if you didn't receive an alert email. If this occurred shortly after you purchased your device, please contact us.
Article is closed for comments.